Tony A. Smith

Home » Advice » Most Marriages Succeed

Most Marriages Succeed

The Good News About Marriage

 

“I might as well not get married since 50 percent of all marriages end in a divorce in America.”

How not true is that?  Based upon an eight year Barna study and a book by Shaunti Feldhahn – author, social researcher, and Harvard trained Wall Street Analyst.

According to Ms. Feldhahn in her book “The Good News About Marriage

1.  The divorce rate in America is not and never has been anywhere near 50 percent. In fact it has been steadily declining since 1980.

2.  Recent research says that 71 percent of women are still married to their first spouse and of the remaining 29 percent if you take out widowhood – Those not married equates to only 25 percent.

3.  Most marriages are in fact happy.

4.  Those who attend church regularly have a significantly lower divorce rate than those who don’t.

5.  Simple changes make a difference in most marriage problems.

6.  Most marriages succeed.

So there is a big difference in 50 percent myth and 25 percent actual numbers based upon extensive studies. I am not quite sure who came up with the 50 percent number. This is a book worth reading with tons of great information inside. Get the truth and the facts and don’t believe the myths on something as important as marriage. 


6 Comments

  1. tabitha59reachingout says:

    This is very good news! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  2. 38 years this month on the 24th, after trying to always choose myself I prayed to God asking him to choose for me, Nov 1976, and I would wait for his choice. I even wrote a poem about the prayer to him, and 6 months later and over 1000, miles from where I once lived, we met in April 1977 and married June 24, 1977. It happens. thanks for sharing… Here is the poem/prayer

    ‘Alone’

    Sometimes I feel so crazy now
    Especially at night, so very alone
    My heart and soul feel so empty
    As my thoughts just seem to roam

    It seems entirely different these days
    How my mistakes I seem to repeat
    Whenever I lead with my emotions
    Not really evaluating what my eyes see

    It seems I become more uneasy now
    No longer sure if I should take a chance
    As it seems each time I lead with my heart
    It always ends in another broken romance

    So I think I’ll hold still for the present
    Placing my faith in God that I will not slip
    And the wife that I have asked Him for
    Will come into my life with a lasting bliss

    Wendell A. Brown
    Nov 1976

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Thanks for your comments and for sharing your story Wendell! What a great story of a marriage that lasts with GOD in the center.

    Like

  4. Wow! Really interesting myth buster Tony… It was good to know that the actual statistics are so much better than what people think they are…
    Great post 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Yes it’s funny how someone says something that really has no basis and someone else believes it and takes it and runs with it…

    Like

  6. That IS good news! I am happy to know that so many marriages are happy ones. Sounds like an interesting read.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: