“I might as well not get married since 50 percent of all marriages end in a divorce in America.”
How not true is that? Based upon an eight year Barna study and a book by Shaunti Feldhahn – author, social researcher, and Harvard trained Wall Street Analyst.
According to Ms. Feldhahn in her book “The Good News About Marriage”
1. The divorce rate in America is not and never has been anywhere near 50 percent. In fact it has been steadily declining since 1980.
2. Recent research says that 71 percent of women are still married to their first spouse and of the remaining 29 percent if you take out widowhood – Those not married equates to only 25 percent.
3. Most marriages are in fact happy.
4. Those who attend church regularly have a significantly lower divorce rate than those who don’t.
5. Simple changes make a difference in most marriage problems.
6. Most marriages succeed.
So there is a big difference in 50 percent myth and 25 percent actual numbers based upon extensive studies. I am not quite sure who came up with the 50 percent number. This is a book worth reading with tons of great information inside. Get the truth and the facts and don’t believe the myths on something as important as marriage.