Home » Blessing » He Knew My Name

He Knew My Name

I had just finished going to Walmart to pick up some orange juice and eggs for breakfast in my old red pick-up truck and there he stood on the corner at the light where I had to make a left turn to go home.  His hair was disheveled just like his clothes and it looked like he hadn’t taken a bath in several weeks. His face was haggard looking with lines and creases everywhere from too much sun and too much of life. In his hands he held a small makeshift cardboard sign  that had the words scribbled in black magic marker “ Help Me – I’m Hungry“.

As I pulled up to the corner next to him I tried not to make eye contact as I waited for the light to change but something inside pulled at me as I glanced at the change and a few dollar bills I had laying in an open ash tray.  I thought ” I don’t wanna give this guy any money. All he is gonna do is go buy some drugs somewhere.”  He did look kind of rough and I was sure he was on drugs of some sort.  For whatever reason, I rolled down the window and he slowly lumbered to the car door. He smiled and looked me in the eyes.  His eyes were piercing and looked as if there was some kind of light coming from inside of him.  I grabbed the change and worn out dollar bills that amounted to about five dollars and placed it in his large rough hand.  My wife Carol was always giving money to street corner guys that were homeless, but I had never even thought of doing it. Why am I doing this?

I smelled the stench as he drew even closer. He looked me square in the eyes and said ” Thank you Jerry.”  I had never met this guy, but somehow he knew my name!  He smiled at me over his shoulder as he walked away from the car but he didn’t go back to panhandling.  He turned and simply walked down the highway in the opposite direction I was turning.

“Be not forgetful to entertain strangers for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.”

Hebrews 13:2 KJV Bible

1. lbeth1950 says:

Wasn’t that strange.

2. tabitha59reachingout says:

Loved this! Crossings Book Club has several books out that have true stories from many people who HAVE encounters just like this one. I believe they ARE angels. Ministering angels to care for us and to test us. Beautiful blog, Tony. 🙂

3. I do believe this Debbie. I have had personal experiences with angels at least three or four times – they saved my life I am most sure of it. There is no other explanation.

4. tabitha59reachingout says:

Awesome! I am sure that I have had those experiences as well, although I never saw them with my eyes. I have just had so much miraculous protection in dangerous places and situations that it HAD to be them. God really does look after His children. 🙂

5. blessed1 says:

Reblogged this on daily blessings and commented:
    Whoa

6. blessed1 says:

I love love love this. Mind blowing. I’ve had a stand out experience with what I’m convinced was guardian angels – that I’ll have to share with you some day. Maybe I’ll blog about it … hmmm.

7. Yes – I would love to hear about your experience! Thanks for sharing this with others!

This was so touching, Tony. You really are a kind and thoughtful person. God works in mysterious ways. Blessins!!

9. beautiful story. reminds me to look for the transcendent in the ordinary. thank you for lifting my spirits Tony!

10. Nefii says:

Reblogged this on hellonefii.