Home » Advice » TOO MUCH HOLIDAY PASTA

TOO MUCH HOLIDAY PASTA

I just got back from a doctor visit and he informed me that my blood pressure was a little on the high side and he wants me to lose some weight.  He said I had gained about 22 pounds from the first time I saw him and that taking the weight off would help to lower the pressure.  I am about six feet tall and I weighed in today at 208 pounds.  The doc said he wants me down to 180 pounds when I go back in two months.  Twenty-eight pounds!  Come on doc!  How in the world am I going to do that?

He recommended that I do some stationary bike riding and get my heart rate up to about 130 beats per minute for at least 10 minutes a day. He also instructed me to watch my diet and that I need to practice an exercise called “the push away.”  Push away from the table!  I guess I will have to cut back on the pasta as difficult as that is going to be.  That is going to be a little hard to do since my wife is half Italian and we eat a bunch of pasta around this house.  Her food just tastes way too good!

I had no idea I had gained that much weight since I don’t own a scale to weigh on.  I did notice that my pants have been a lot harder to get on these days.  I can hide a lot of weight with my height but the pants seem to always be a tattletale on how much good food I have been packing in.

Does anyone have any good ideas for diets or ways to lose some weight before I have to go weigh in on that doctor scale in a few months?  I don’t want to have to look him in the eye and say I failed miserably and ate too much pasta again.  I am not exactly sure what I am going to do about my Italian wife.  I am looking for any advice you can pass my way.

1. lucinda408 says:

Drinking garlic water (meaning fresh garlic in your drinking water soaking for at least 2 hours) will help to lower the high blood pressure. I am not good at keeping diets but I live by one rule: do not take in more calories than you use! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. Walk walk walk. Walking is great excersize and if you have a pet its great for them too! Good luck

Liked by 2 people

3. tabitha59reachingout says:

Absolutely! It is the meat, fish, cheese, sour cream, white flour products and baking and sugar that does it. All animal products are LOADED with bad fats that will coat your arteries and pile on the weight. Switch to 100% whole wheat instead of the fluffy white flours that have NO nutrition in them. I would also buy a bathroom scale so you can keep a closer eye on your weight. It is easier to keep your weight down if you just check it every couple of weeks to see how you’re doing. You will find that if you have mostly vegetables and fruits (in their original form) and VERY little meat and dairy products, that the weight will drop off pretty quickly. Also, drinking lots of water is really good for cleaning out ones’ system. You will be doing your precious heart and colon a great favour too. You can find loads of wonderful vegan recipes on line if you are stuck for fun food with no meat in it. Seriously, you can do anything if you give it a few weeks. If you do this, you will be amazed at how good you will feel within one months time. If you are interested, you might also like to go to my blog and look up the one on how I recovered from severe burn-out. It is one of the earlier ones, and I believe I filed it in the Health Matters category. There are good resources there listed such as books by medical doctors who really believe in preventative medicine. Blood pressure medicine is very expensive and makes a person usually feel tired all the time. My husband WAS on it and was told he had to be on it for the rest of his life, but when we switched our diet he was able to go off it and he felt years younger in doing that and changing how we eat. This could even prevent a heart attack one day. Food plays a radical role in how ones health is, especially as we get older. Unfortunately, most medical doctors are only trained in treating the symptoms of our problems and they know very little about really good, wise nutrition. If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them as well. Best of health to you, Tony.

4. SilverGirl says:

As my naturopath says.. stress makes people fat, people think food’s the culprit but often it’s not what you’re eating, it’s what’s eating you.
    So maybe look into if there’s an underlying cause of stress that could be addressed.
    Aside from that .. 6 smaller healthier meals p/day including more whole foods and reduced processed foods.
    All the best Tony!

5. milliethom says:

Lots of exercise helps to burn up all those extra calories. Long daily walks and swimming three times a week keep me fit. I also watch my diet – so I’m afraid you’ll have to do likewise if you want to lose weight! Exercise just keeps you fit. Too much salt in the diet can cause high blood pressure, I’m told. There’s lots of advice out there about suitable diets for your lifestyle. I hope you find something you can actually cope with. Wishing you the best of luck in that, Tony.

6. I have to agree with everyone else Tony. Walking, biking, etc. Best way to lose wait. Plus 8 glasses of water a day, lots of fruit, veggies, and smaller portions. I have to say though, that’s a lot of weight to lose in 2 months. Doctors usually recommend 1-2 lbs a week. Regardless, good luck!

It is all in what you eat that counts. Exercise is essential to keep you healthy and strong in bones and muscles but eating is where the calories come from. You just can’t lose by exercise alone, I know I have been trying for years. It does get harder to do as you get older but just cut down on the pasta by adding more veggies to your plate or using a smaller plate thus cutting down the portions.

I know what you mean about an Italian spouse. My husband is Italian and loves to cook pasta. He would eat it every day if I let him. We tried different pastas that are lower in carbs and pretty good but still have to keep the portions down.

Good luck and think green – like in veggies! Lol!
    Will check back to see how you are doing.

8. Nefii says:

I guess this post is for me too. I can’t fit into my jeans either and am horrible when it comes to exercise but I may take up one or two of these advises… Sorry I can’t give any advise. Am just as guilty as you.

9. The only thing I can say is the calories used should be more than calories taken in. I am a vegetarian and it did not help me lose weight when it was necessary, no matter what your food habits, if you can limit calories ,and walk/run everyday you will be able to lose weight easily. All the best and good health to you